August 17, 2017
The Club: Just Desserts – Show Notes
Hello loyal Club fans! Here are the show notes for our latest/sweetest episode (if you haven’t listened yet, start here).
General Show Notes
- Lindsay mentions purchasing unsweetened jam, find it here: http://www.fruitstrengthfarm.com/
- Whoopie pies (also known as Gobs) have origins in Pennsylvania, but also have a popular variation in New England that uses marshmallow fluff for the filling: https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/WhoopiePieHistory.htm
- this article also discusses the Whoopie Pie Queen
- Turner eats his Oreo cookies with orange juice. We’re still working on video proof of this phenomenon!
- Hobo pies are also called mountain pies or pudgy pies
- The National Park Service has some great recipe ideas you can find here: https://www.nps.gov/articles/hobopies.htm
Sweet Sandwiches Discussed
- S’mores – a classic campfire favorite made up of chocolate and roasted marshmallow in between two graham crackers
- Whoopie Pies – a dessert sandwich with two round cake-like edges and white filling in the middle
- Amish Pennsylvania (or medieval German) roots
- also popular in Maine and New England regions
- Hobo Pies – pie filling in between two pieces of bread, toasted on a campfire (traditionally)
- Macarons – a French delicacy that sandwiches a jelly-like filling between two fragile almond flour-based cookies
- Oreo Cookies – the original sandwich cookie
- Peanut Butter and Jelly – find it in a child’s lunchbox near you! Peanut butter + jelly or jam + bread = nostalgia.
- Turner Abominations:
- Waffle Peanut Butter and Jelly – peanut butter + jam + microwaved waffles + cream cheese + bananas. Served promptly at 3:00 in the afternoon.
- PBJ Tortilla – peanut butter + “syrup” + marshmallow fluff + tortilla
- Sweet Sandwich of the Week – you’re going to have to check it out (with pictures and a recipe) by clicking here!
The awesome original theme music is by the talented Jake Schlaerth. You can find out more information about him and listen to his awesome creations at his website. Note: He plays Glass Armonica for the 21st Century Fox film Logan. It’s a really great soundtrack that wouldn’t be the same without Schlaerth’s superb glass skills.
Additional royalty free music is by Kevin MacLeod. I would suggest checking out his website for all of your royalty-free music and graph paper needs!
Hey, if you want to show your support for all of the effort Lindsay and I put into this podcast and all of it’s additional content, why not consider thanking us by buying us a coffee through patreon? We work hard to make sure you guys have some delicious sounds satisfying your hungry ears. We would love to know how much you support us!
Become a Patron!
Thank you for listening! Feel free to tell your friends!
And remember to #BeHappyNotHungry!
Gob bless us every one!