July 20, 2017
Sandwich of the Week – In Search of Aiolians
The first sandwich eaten in space was a smuggled corned beef sandwich. Continuing with the space theme of this week, we decided to spice up this sandwich. Get out your binoculars and let’s go search for some Aiolians!
We’d like to thank Martin Bauman with the Story Untold podcast for supplying us with this week’s sandwich of the week! I was also interviewed as a segment of this week’s episode. Go ahead and listen if you want to hear any background information about The Club: A Sandwich podcast.
- Marble Rye Bread
- Corned Beef (the first vegetable grown in space!)
- Red Lettuce
- A little bit of Dijon Mustard
- Garlic Aioli
- Find a bakery or a friend to make Marble Rye bread.
- Get a large hunka corned beef and boil it up!
- Make your garlic aioli. We used this recipe.
- After the beef has been cooked, toast slices of the marble rye bread.
- Spread some garlic aioli on the bread.
- Slice the meat and pile it on!
- Put veggies on top
- Top with a little bit of dijon mustard.
This sandwich really hits the spot. The bread in my sandwich was toasted a little more than lightly. The garlic aioli really kicks this sandwich up to the next level. Be sure not to use too much dijon mustard as it could be a lot to taste with the garlic aioli. The pickles add a satisfying crunch that transcends the milky way. Try pairing it with a nice irish red ale.
If you’ve launched yourself into this sandwich then we’d love to hear how much you enjoyed it! Go ahead and contact us:
Andrew X. Hunter